Friday, June 3, 2011

May reads







Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

The third book in the Sookie Stackhouse books. Sookie is looking for the missing Bill, and she questions their relationship. It doesn't help matters that she has an attraction to the werewolf, Alcide. More is revealed about the vampire and were worlds and their politics. Easy read. Enjoyed.




The Disworld Graphic Novels: The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett

A fun read of the first two novels in the Discworld books. A good way to refamiliarise myself with the world, before I go to start reading book 3 (I read the first two many many years ago). Nice to see Rincewind, the tourist, and the luggage, again. The Pratchett humour still comes through in this form.



The Day My Bum Went Psycho by Andy Griffiths

The amount of bum jokes and references in this book is hilarious. The whole world has bum alternatives. Zack has to stop his bum from starting a revolution to take over the world. He gets more than he bargained for when he teams up with the B-Team (bum hunters). I couldn't help but laugh with this book. Very clever concept. I'm sure kids would love the potty humour.



The Illiad by Roy Thomas

This is a graphic novel based on Homer's Illiad. I thought the artwork was great, and there was the to-ing and fro-ing I remember from the story (I read Robert Graves' version during my university studies). I would love to see the Odyssey illustrated, as I enjoyed that story more. Still, a good way to read The Illiad without reading hundreds of pages. 


Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I love this series, and I enjoyed the tale of Vane and Bride. There was more about the Were-Hunters and the two factions. And how could you not love a man/wolf, who is besotted with a woman who is plus size, without making a big deal of it. 


Goddess Girls: Athena the Brain by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams

A modern retelling of the Olympian pantheon, where 12 year old Athena finds out she is a goddessgirl, her father is Zeus, and she's been accepted to go to Mount Olympus academy. While this doesn't follow the traditional tales, I still found it a fun read, and would loved to have read this as a tween. 



Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich

A between the numbers novella, where Diesel makes a reappearance. Grandma has found some lucky money, which doesn't turn out to be lucky at all. The gang - Stephanie, Lula, and Connie make their way to Atlantic City to find grandma. I laughed out loud in so many scenes. I needed a pick me up, and this was definitely the right book for it. I think I also liked it because there wasn't too much angst over the Morelli / Ranger triangle.



So the run down is:

100+ challenge = 30/100

Speculative fiction = 5/12 (up by 1)
Horror & Urban Fantasy = 6/24 (up by 1)
Mystery & Suspense = 3/12 (up by 1)
Stephen King = 0/12 (no change)
Romance = 3/24 (no change)
Lagging behind on the Stephen King and Romance challenges.

Happy Reading!





No comments:

Welcome to my reading blog!!