Saturday, April 2, 2011

March reading





The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
A slow start with the word of financial espionage and libel suit against Mikael Blomvkist. He gets an offer to work on a decades old murder and because it has the potential to lead to more info on the espionage, he accepts.

Lisabeth Salander, a freelancer with Milton Security (intelligence reports) is an girl who is unconventional in her looks, her attitude and her social niceties. We see her deal with her work and other personal matters. She's a loner and she is a ward of the state despite being 25.

About the first quarter is interesting but it is in a different style to what I'm used to - it is telling the story in many cases. But especially since we are introduced to Henrik Vanger and his mystery, and also Lisabeth, I was drawn more and more into the story. The last quarter especially has you gasping.

Apparently the Swedish title is Men Who Hate Woman, and that definitely suits the story and the mystery.
(Mystery & Suspense)


Mistral's Kiss by Laurell K. Hamilton (book 5 of The Merry Gentry series)
Merry continues on her journey to stay alive in the Unseelie court. She and her men re-awaken old magic that had been lost. While of course there is some more sex with her guards (so she can get pregnant and therefore be named heir to the Unseelie Court - before her cousin Cel can). Definitely an erotic urban fantasy - I'm wondering if there are any positions left!!!

It is the intrigue of the courts that is fascinating and there is more and more as the book unfolds. The words flow effortlessly making it an easy read, despite all the political intrigue.
(Horror & Urban Fantasy)


Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four Vol 1: Family of Heroes
This was a kid friendly version of the Fantastic Four. Good artwork as usual.  


The Avengers: I am an Avenger by Marvel Comics
A collection of comic issues that include the changing of the official Avenger line up. It's really interesting to see it jump and see the changes over the years. Great artwork as you would expect.

Astonishing X-Men: Exogenetic by Warren Ellis
Fab artwork and because I don't read things in order of series, I do ponder over storylines. You can read as a one off though. 


Storyteller: Writing Lessons From 27 Years of The Clarion Writers' Workshop by Kate Wilhelm
A really interesting read of two of the lecturers at Clarion. Very interesting of how it got started, and the whole process. And for once I read it without reading anything else (one reason was because I had to return to its owner). Still, it was good to read something on the craft and writing as a topic. I haven't done that in so long.
As you can see I have read more comics - actually, I should say I FINISHED the comics. I have quite a few books in the process of being read. I usually have books at different stages of reading and depending on my mood is what I would read. But with Storyteller, I tended to just to mainly concentrate on that book. And it was good to go back to that for a little bit at least. I'll see how I go.


Anyhow, the update:

6 books added this month = 19 books 

Speculative Fiction 2/12 (no change)
Horror & Urban Fantasy 4/24 (up by 1)
Mystery & Suspense 2/12 (up by 1)
Stephen King 0/12 
Romance 3/24 (no change)


How are you all going with your reading? 


No comments:

Welcome to my reading blog!!