Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February reads

February has come and gone, so here's what I read.

Books read in Feb = 7
Total books read to date = 14





Again I had a fantastic month of reading.



The Right Chord by Elisabeth Rose

A lovely romance. Grace and Harry get off on the wrong impression from the start, with Grace trying to be more assertive. Add a dog, Woof, who howls when Grace practices (she's in an orchestra), and Harry's cute kid, and there's lots of situations for misunderstandings and confusion.
(Romance)

Love is a Four Legged Word
by Kandy Shepherd 

I loved this book. It made me laugh with Brutus, the millionaire mutt.  Will definitely reading more of Kandy's books.

There were so many tongue-in-cheek things I loved it's hard to list them all, but must say the romance between Maddy and Tom is just so lovely. And the best pack ending!! :)
(Romance)


hey what is it with me and books about dogs this month?!!



Generation 18 by Keri Arthur (Spook Squad, Book 2)

This is the second book in the Spook Squad series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the futuristic setting, the characters (Gabriel - mmmm), and the storyline. Sam is still trying to piece together where she comes from. She and Gabriel have lots of tension but he pushes her away afraid she will be killed. And there is a mysterious man she meets and is in her dreams too...someone she doesn't know if she can trust but who knows all about her and her past. He's just not saying...
(Horror & Urban Fantasy)


The Arrival by Shaun Tan

This is a book devoid of any words but the pictures speak enough for it. The story of immigrants going into another country. I see familiar faces really, having been a daughter of immigrants, but also the photographs of family as they were when they first arrived in Australia. Such a lovely book in sepia tones. I can say there was emotion stuck in my throat 'reading' the stories in there. Fantastic artwork as usual. Making everything both familiar and unfamiliar.

Oh btw - Shaun won an Oscar for Best Short Animated Film for The Lost Thing. Fantastic news!!! I've read the book but haven't seen the movie. 


Night of the Living Trekkies by Keith David Anderson & Sam Stall 

It’s sci-fi/horror – zombie book set at a Star Trek convention. Much fun had with the two genres and of course it was funny. There was even Star Wars references shown in. I actually picked up this book from the library because of the Book trailer....it's gold.
(Horror & Urban Fantasy)


Trailer YouTube link



Shaun of the Dead (Graphic Novel)

Adaptation of the movie. Still laughed at bits (even though I've seen the movie) and the art work is very good. Didn't realise they had put this out until I spotted in my library.



Glory in Death by J.D. Robb (In Death, Book 2)

The second of the Eve Dallas and Rourke series. Again great writing and I was able to move along with this story quickly. I love the relationship between these characters. Both are from unloving backgronds and it's nice to see them have comfort in each other. I shall be continuing with the next book.
(Mystery & Suspense)


So summing up:

Speculative Fiction 2/12 (no change)
Horror & Urban Fantasy 3/24 (up by 2)
Mystery & Suspense 1/12 (up by 1)
Stephen King 0/12 
Romance 3/24 (up by 2)

So looks like the Horror&UF and the Romance Challenges are out in front.

Until next time, happy reading!


No comments:

Welcome to my reading blog!!