Sunday, July 3, 2011

June reads







The Stone Mage and The Sea by Sean Williams
When I started this originally, while I enjoyed it, I couldn't get into it. A few months later, and reborrowing it from the library, and I was immersed of the world of The Strand, where the Sky Wardens rule. Sal and his father are on the run, and avoid these Sky Wardens, but Sal has no idea why. Until they come to a town, where an old man resides, and he finds out more about himself than he bargained for.


M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman
Gaiman is a real storyteller. In this collection of short stories aimed for children, he mixes genres and styles, but always there is a fascinating story there. Whether it be funny, more creepy, or just weird. I loved the NurseRhymeLand story in the detective noir style, the old lady who found the Holy Grail in her local Oxfam shop, and the story of the stray cat who has more power than it seems.


Her Dark Lord by Mel Teshco
A novella with Nocturne Bites. I enjoyed this story of a half vampire trying to find the Ancient One. Really good world-building, especially with the length. Also hawt. Well done to my DarkSider friend.


Immortal In Death by J.D. Robb
Book 3 of the In Death series featuring Eve Dallas and her beau, Roarke. I love the relationship between these two. Two people with bad pasts who have found eachother. In this book, Eve has a case close to home when her best friend is accused of murder. Eve is tenacious in proving her friend's innocence by being a good above the board cop. The case also brings up some startling memories too. I really enjoy the mystery and suspense in these books.


Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Like The Stone Mage and The Sea, when I initially borrowed this book, I read it and liked it but it was slow going. Maybe because I wasn't used to the word usage imagery of the steampunk world. When I reborrowed it, I was able to get into it and the last half of the book flew by. I love the world-building in this - the Darwanist English vs. the Clanker Germans. An history with an alternative what if. It's the first in the series, so am looking forward to seeing where this goes.


Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh
I have already reviewed this book, here.






No comments:

Welcome to my reading blog!!